history white death by tim vickery read by Richard Mitchell II

white death by tim vickery read by Richard Mitchell II 

chapter
  the woman in front of the prison the prison was a big dirty building in the biggest town  of a hot country the woman was very hot and she did not like the noise from all the cars in the road she was an English woman and she did not like hot countries or a lot of noise she was tall about fifty years old with blue eyes and a long face her face was red and she looked tired and angry she knocked at the door of the prison for a long time nothing happened then a little window opened in the door and a man looked out at her yes what do you want I want to see my daughter it's very important name Anna Harland is that your name or your daughter's name it's my name my daughter's name is sarah harland you can't visit her today come back on Wednesday no I came from England to see her today it's very important she's going to court tomorrow please take me to her now wait a minute the little wind closed but the door did not open the woman waited in front of the door for a ☺long time a lot of people in the road  looked at her one or two young men laughed but she did not move she stood there in the hot road in front of the prison door and waited after  minutes the door opened come with me the man said the woman went in with him it was dark in the prison and at first she could not see very well she walked for a long time past hundreds of doors then the man opened one of them in here he said you can have ten minutes Anna Harland walked into the room and the man went in after her he closed the door behind him there was a table in the room and two chairs on one of the chairs sat her daughter Sarah she was a tall girl about nineteen years old with big blue eyes mother she said I'm very happy to see you and she got up and began to run across the room to her mother Sarah Anna said and put out her arms but the man moved quickly and stood between them no he said to Anna I'm sorry I know you're her mother you can't talk but that's all please sit down at the table I am here to watch you the mother and daughter sat down at the table Anna's hands were near Sarah's on the table she looked carefully at her daughter Sarah's dress and face were dirty she's tired and unhappy and I thought Sarah what happened she said we have  minutes to talk no more tell me please quickly I want to help you Sarah looked at her mother Oh mother I'm happy you're here I wanted you to come mother I I didn't do it it isn't true  please believe me of course I believe  you Sarah but tell me about it what  happened quickly begin at the beginning  yes but I don't know when did it begin I  don't know I don't understand it  why did the  lise arrest you when did they bring you  to this prison last week I think yes  last week at the airport when we arrived  the police stopped us and looked in our  bags then Sara looked down at the table  she's crying  Anna thought she's very unhappy what  happened then  Sara her mother asked they they said  there were drugs in my bag then they  took me into a room and told me to take  my dress off they looked for more drugs  but they found nothing then then they  brought me here  I see where were the drugs then where  did they find them oh they didn't tell  you Sara  stopped crying she looked up and there  was a smile on her face but it was not a  happy smile the drugs were in a tube of  toothpaste a toothpaste tube with drugs  in it heroin not toothpaste and you  didn't know about it no mother  of course not do you think I  clean my teeth with heroin anna harland  smiled it was difficult to smile because  she was afraid but she smiled because  she wanted to help her daughter I know  you don't clean your teeth with heroin  you have very good teeth Sarah but what  about Steven did he know about the  heroin did he put it in the toothpaste  tube Steven no why do you ask about  Steven mother  well is he in prison too  you said us and our bags did the police  arrest him too  Oh No Sarah's face was unhappy no I  wasn't with Steven mother you see Steven  and I well we aren't friends now I left  him about two months ago and then I met  Hassan Hassan yes I was with Hassan at  the airport Steven was on the plane too  I don't know why but he wasn't with me  it's Hassan he was with me  Hassan  important to me now not Stephen Anna  looked at her daughter I see and did the  police arrest this Hasan  - is he in prison yes he is  they arrested him but I can't see him I  asked them I wanted to see him but they  said no mother I'm sure Hasan didn't  know about the heroin he's a good man  he didn't know I'm sure then why was the  heroin in your bag Sarah I don't know  mother I don't know the man looked at  the clock in the room I'm sorry  mrs. Harland he said but that's ten  minutes it's time to go Anna Harland  stood up slowly  all right she said but don't be afraid  Sarah  I'm coming to the court tomorrow  yes mother Sarah said thank you  the police are bringing Hassan to court  tomorrow - I think you can see him there  he's a good man mother and I'm sure he  didn't know about the drugs  perhaps Anna said she walked slowly to  the door and then  stood by the door and looked at her  daughter again Sara you are telling me  the truth  aren't you Sara began to cry again Yes  Mother  of course I am I always tell you the  truth you know that Anna smiled yes Sara  she said quietly yes I believe you she  went through the door and the man went  out after her Sara sat quietly at the  table in the room and looked at her  hands yes she thought I told you the  truth mother I always tell you the truth  but I didn't tell you everything she put  her head in her hands


chapter


 Anna Harland left the prison  and went to talk to the police she  waited a long time in a small office but  after an hour a policeman came into the  room he was a big man about  years old  with brown eyes and a nice smile  he moved very slowly and quietly good  afternoon mrs. Harland he said my name  is detective Inspector Aziz I arrested  your daughter three days ago I am very  sorry for you this is a very unhappy  thing for a mother it's a very unhappy  thing for my daughter  inspector Anna said angrily because she  didn't do it she's innocent you know she  knows nothing about those drugs  Detective Inspector Aziz looked at her  carefully for a minute he did not know  many English women she has an  interesting face he thought very blue  eyes and a long nose she is not afraid  of me and she is  not crying perhaps she wants to know the  truth perhaps she can help me too well  mrs. Harland he said slowly it's  difficult for me is your daughter  telling the truth is she innocent  because the drugs were in her bag you  know I know Anna said but she was with a  young man Hasan she doesn't know him  very well  I think tell me about him please I want  to know inspector aziz smiled alright  he said but first tell me about your  daughter why was she on that plane why  did she come to this country tell me  Anna Harland looked at him he's a nice  man  she thought he listens to people perhaps  he wants to help perhaps he can  understand Sarah do you have daughters  she asked yes the inspector answered too  then  you can understand Anna said Sarah is   she finished school last year and she  worked for six months in a hospital to  get some money then she and her  boyfriend Steven visited a lot of  countries they went to Greece Turkey  India Australia and now they're here  they're young and they want to see new  countries and new towns and new people  that's all I see the inspector said but  sometimes young people do things bad  things because they are in a different  country and they need money not Sarah  Anna said and not heroin Sarah worked in  a hospital and she knows about heroin  she knows it can kill people I'm a  doctor and she wants to be a doctor too  I see the inspector said again he looked  at her and thought but he said nothing  now Anna said tell me about this young  man  Hasan all right the inspector said he  took some papers from the table and  began to read to her but we don't know  very much about him he's a rich boy from  a good family his father has two or  three shops I think and the police in  his town know him too last year his  father gave him a new car a very fast  car and listened to this one day he hit  a police car and the police car went  into the river  what a story his father bought a new car  for the police his father has a lot of  money  the inspector smiled but Anna looked  unhappy oh dear she said that's not very  good no he said it isn't good but this  story about the heroine is worse much  worse I don't like this story


 Chapter


 three next morning Anna Harland  went to the court she was first there  she sat in the courtroom and waited a  lot of people came in and she saw a man  and his wife perhaps they're Hassan's  father and mother Anna thought but she  did not want to talk to them the lawyers  came in next with a lot of papers they  sat at a table in front of her and  talked quietly those two lawyers Anna  thought they're old friends but one of  them wants my daughter to die and one  wants her to be free after the lawyers  the jury came in  people men and women  they sat down and watched the lawyers  they looked at Anna and then talked  quietly about her these people don't  look very important she thought but they  are the most important people here  they're going to say she did it or she  didn't do it and then Sarah comes home  to me or she dies she watch  their faces carefully then some  policemen came in inspector aziz saw  anna and smiled at her but anna did not  talk to him because sara came in at the  same time she looked afraid and her face  was very white she looked across the  courtroom saw her mother and gave her an  unhappy smile there were two policemen  behind Sarah but Anna did not look at  them she looked at the tall dark young  man next to Sarah Hasan he's about   years old Anna thought he's very tall  but he has a nice face and very  beautiful dark eyes Sarah likes him and  I can understand that but he looks very  unhappy too and afraid his hands are  moving all the time Hasan looked at  Sarah and smiled she smiled back at him  Anna wanted to talk to Sarah but just  then a policeman said loudly all stand  please everybody stood up and the John  came into the courtroom he went to his  chair and sat down the police lawyer  began these two young people came into  our country last week he said the young  man lives in this country and the young  woman is English at the airport the  police looked in their bags and they  found three tubes of toothpaste these  tubes of toothpaste he had the three  tubes in his hand and he looked at them  everybody could see them but are they  tubes of toothpaste he asked no men and  women of the jury they are not Oh No  there is no toothpaste in these tubes  there is heroin in them yes heroin a bad  dirty drug perhaps the worst drug people  die from this drug the white death they  call it the lawyer stopped and looked at  the jury he waited for a minute or two  the courtroom was very quiet then he  began again but why you asked me why  did these two young people have this  heroin in their bags I can't tell you  because heroin is one of the most  expensive drugs to they can sell these  tubes of heroin in our country for  perhaps , pounds , pounds easy  money and men and women of the jury many  people in our country young people  school children to take this drug at  first it's exciting and they feel happy  but then they need more and more heroin  and they need more money to buy the drug  they leave their homes and families they  take more heroin and more  they can't stop soon the drug begins to  kill them and in the end they die the  white death it's not  quick death and it's not an easy death  yes men and women of the jury many young  people and children your children and my  children remember died because of this  drug  the lawyer stopped again the jury  watched him and waited he's very good  Anna thought very very good he's telling  the jury an exciting story and they  liked him but it isn't good for Sarah  the lawyer walked across the courtroom  and stood in front of the jury but my  friends he said to the jury we have a  law in this country and the law is not  difficult to understand when people  bring heroin into this country they  bring death too we need to stop these  people and how can we do that the answer  is easy the law for these people is  death the lawyer walked back to his  table now please look at these two young  people here in this court he said to the  jury they brought heroin into this  country the airport police are going to  tell you about it please listen  carefully it's not a long story and  remember the  law is death the police lawyer sat down  and an airport policeman went to the  front of the courtroom Anna felt ill she  looked at Sara Sara was white-faced and  very afraid  Anna closed her eyes Sara she thought Oh  Sara the police lawyer stood up again  please tell the court about Sara Holland  and her son he said to the airport  policeman yes sir said the policeman I  found two tubes of toothpaste in the  girl's bag and one tube in the young  man's bag all three tubes had heroin in  them thank you the police lawyer sat  down and mr. Ching Sara's and Hassan's  lawyer stood up what did Sara Holland  say when you found the heroin he asked  nothing sir  she began to cry I see was she afraid  the policeman thought for a minute I  don't know sir but she was yes and she  said nothing are you sure  the policeman thought again well yes sir  I think perhaps she said this isn't my  toothpaste this is  all wrong I see and what about the young  man Hasan What did he say well sir he  was very angry he said it's not heroin  that's not true you put it there I see  thank you  now tell me why did you look in these  two young people's bags  you don't usually look in everyone's  bags there isn't time  the policeman thought again well no sir  we don't I I'm afraid I can't tell you  sir what did you say mr. Cheng asked  very angrily of course you can tell me  this is a court of law he looked at the  judge this is a very important question  we need an answer the judge looked at  the airport policeman I am sorry  he said please answer the question the  court needs to know the answer yes sir  well you see there was a telephone call  someone telephoned me before the plane  arrived the telephone caller said  there's some heroin on the plane a young  man and a young woman are carrying it I  see mr. Chen  said he smiled that's very interesting  and who made this telephone call I don't  know the policeman said it was a man and  he talked in English I don't know his  name  suddenly Anna heard a noise  she looked behind her at the door of the  courtroom a tall young man came into the  back of the room Anna knew him at once  it was Stephen Sarah's old boyfriend a  policeman took him to a chair near Anna  he saw Anna and for a second he looked  afraid but then he smiled and sat down  next to her mrs. Harland he said quietly  it's good to see you when did you arrive  yesterday she said why are you late I  couldn't find the court he answered he  looked very unhappy tell me how to help  he said I want to  help Sara but what can I do I was on the  plane too but I couldn't help her I  don't want her to die  stay with me young man  Anna said quietly we can help her I'm  sure we can later that morning Sara went  to the front of the courtroom her face  was very white and her eyes were red  with crying her lawyer mr. Cheng began  to ask her questions now Miss harland  why did you come to this country he  asked quietly and smiled at her because  I like going to different countries I  want to meet new people and why were you  with this young man because Sara stopped  and looked down at her feet nobody could  see her face she began again very  quietly but nobody could hear her I'm  sorry we can't hear you  can you say that again please Sara  looked up she looked quickly at her  mother and then at her son because I  love him Anna felt old and tired she  looked  the tall young man with the beautiful  dark eyes  it was his heroine she thought I'm sure  it was he buys and sells heroine and he  put it in my daughter's bag and now she  says she loves him  Steven sat next to her he did not move  and he watched Sara all the time but she  did not look at him mr. Cheng waited a  minute and then he questioned Sara again  did you know about the heroin in those  tubes of toothpaste he asked no Sara  said quickly of course I didn't  and what about Hassan did he know about  the heroin please think about your  answer no I'm sure he didn't know it  wasn't our heroine Sara's blue eyes were  angry we didn't put the heroin in the  toothpaste tubes we are innocent thank  you Miss Harland  mr. Chang said quietly and sat down the  police lawyer stood up miss Harland  how much money did you have in your bag  um about fifty pounds I think that's not  very much this is an expensive country  you know how much can you buy with your  fifty pounds sir  did not have an answer um I don't know  she began I usually live very cheaply  did you need more money  the lawyers questions came quickly now  of course you needed more money you  wanted to sell that heroin you wanted to  be rich is that right  no no that's not true  the lawyer said nothing for a minute he  looked at the jury and smiled then he  said do you think toothpaste is very  expensive in this country miss Holland  uh no I don't think oh I don't know well  I can tell you it isn't toothpaste is  cheap here so why did you bring three  tubes of toothpaste with you how often  do you clean your teeth miss Holland six  times a day or seven or eight times a  day perhaps Sarah looked very unhappy no  I don't know Hassan yes the lawyer said  quickly Hassan are you going to say  Hassan gave it to me you love this young  man but you don't want to die nobody  wants to die and now you're going to say  it was Hassan's toothpaste is that your  answer miss Holland no Sarah said  angrily of course not  it was  i toothpaste but thank you miss Harlan  the police lawyer sat down I have no  more questions

  chapter


four at one o'clock the judge  left the court for an hour  Anna Harlan talked to Sara for ten  minutes  Sara cried at first I don't like that  police lawyer she said those questions  were very difficult I couldn't answer  them it doesn't matter  her mother said your lawyer mr. Cheng is  very good and Steven is here too now  we're all going to help you  Sara was angry don't talk to me about  Steven she said I don't like him I don't  want to see him here but Sara  he was your boyfriend for two years he  wants to help you Sara began to cry  again perhaps he does want to help me I  don't know  but he's different now mother you don't  understand  his eyes are different there I don't  know and he can't sit quietly and talk  to people now his body is moving all the  time he came to see me in our hotel the  night before we came to this country and  I didn't like him mother why is he here  he doesn't lie  me now and I don't love him Anna  listened carefully to her daughter and  then she went to see mr. Cheng and  inspector aziz Steven went with her who  made that phone call to the police at  the airport she asked we need to know  that yes mr. Cheng said that's very  important  can the police tell us perhaps the  inspector said but it's very difficult  it was not a long telephone call and the  man didn't give his name perhaps he was  a policeman and he knew about the  heroine perhaps mr. Cheng said but then  perhaps he put the heroine there and he  wanted the police to find it perhaps  someone doesn't like your daughter mrs.  Harland I don't know Anna said slowly  but perhaps but then the judge came back  into the courtroom and everybody stopped  talking the judge then called Hassan  Hassan stood up and went to the front of  the courtroom he's a rich boy and a  thought that shirt and those shoes are  very expensive hassan stood there tall  and very quiet he waited for the  questions he did not look of  rade but when mr. Chang looked at his  papers and asked the first question  Hassan closed his eyes did you know  about the heroin in those tubes of  toothpaste no sir  did Sarah know no sir  who bought the toothpaste Hassan closed  his eyes again for two or three seconds  then he answered I did sir  you did you're sure of that  yes sir I'm sure I clean my teeth a lot  you see  Hassan's smiled for a moment well he  does have very white teeth Anna thought  Sarah Hassan began then he stopped yes  again Hassan closed his eyes and waited  for a second then he looked at the jury  and said very loudly Sarah did not buy  the toothpaste I bought it I bought all  three tubes of toothpaste  it was my toothpaste analyst  up in her chair and looked carefully at  a son that's interesting  she thought perhaps he does love Sarah I  see mr. Cheng said and when did you  first meet sarah harland about two  months ago I was in Australia we were in  the same hotel she had a difficult time  with her boyfriend and I helped her Anna  looked at Stephen he was very angry and  he hit the chair in front of him with  his hand I see mr. Cheng said again then  he asked his next question do you  usually carry a lot of money how much  money did you have at the airport about  pounds I think that's okay when I  need more money I get some work for a  week or two we don't need much money and  do you sometimes take heroin no sir  never thank you stay there please  mr. Cheng sat down and the police lawyer  stood up he smiled at Hassan but it was  not a nice smile  now Hassan you bought the toothpaste but  it was in miss Holland's bag why why did  she carry it for you or do you always  ask your women to carry things for you  he smiled  Hasan said nothing  the lawyer began again you had  pounds  you say but , pounds is better than  pounds I think what do you think of  course it is but I don't sell heroin  it's wrong to sell heroin the lawyer  moved his papers on the table he looked  at the jury so you are a very good young  man with very clean teeth but no money  you met a young English girl she was  unhappy with her boyfriend so you helped  her and took her away with you is that  right oh dear it's not a very good story  you know I don't believe it and I don't  think the jury believes it young man he  stopped for a minute then he looked at  Hassan and said loudly you don't love  sarah harland and she doesn't love you  you went with her because she could help  you and she went with you because she  wanted the money she carried the heroin  for you to sell that's right isn't it  you put the heroin in the toothpaste  tubes and she knew about it is that the  true story young man I think it is No  i hasan began angrily but the lawyer did  not listen he sat down I have no more  questions he said to the judge



  chapter


 the judge looked at his papers  and then at the jury it is now four  o'clock in the afternoon he said we can  begin again in the morning please be  here at ten o'clock the judge stood up  and left the courtroom the jury left to  and the police took Sara and Hassan back  to the prison Anna looked at Stephen  well young man  she said what can we do now we have  sixteen hours before tomorrow morning  I don't know Stephen said he looked at  her for a minute  then he looked away over her head at the  front of the court  I'm sure Hassan knew about the heroin he  said he put it in her bag I'm sure he  did Sarah is innocent but he isn't mr.  Cheng came and stood with them she's  innocent  Stephen said again but Hassan's going to  die mr. Cheng looked at Stephen  carefully  perhaps he said slowly but did you  listen to Hassan in court he said Sarah  did not buy the toothpaste  it was my toothpaste now why did he say  that it was not an easy thing to say you  know  the jury going to think about it it  doesn't matter Stephen said angrily  because it wasn't toothpaste and he  didn't buy it in a shop he made those  tubes because he wanted to sell the  heroin and he's going to die that's the  law in this country Anna looked at  Stephen and said nothing  he's very angry she thought his face is  red and he's talking very quickly does  he want to kill her son and what's the  matter with his eyes mr. Cheng watched  Stephen - but who made that telephone  call it's important and I want to know  he said I'm going to ask the police now  would you like to come with me mrs.  Harland yes of course  Anna said Stephen are you coming yes ah  no no Stephen said I'm going to meet a  man I think he can help us all right  Anna said but when can I meet you I need  to talk to you about Hassan can I come  too  or hotel tonight uh no not tonight  Stephen said quickly  his face was now white and he looked  tired and ill his hands and body moved  all the time come to my hotel tomorrow  morning  bye he walked quickly out of the  courtroom Anna and mr. Cheng watched him  inspector aziz was near the door and he  watched even too

 Chapter six

 Anna and mr. Chang talked to  the police but the police could tell  them nothing more about the telephone  call to the airport inspector aziz  telephone two or three people and then  he talked to Anna again when Anna left  inspector aziz she was much happier then  she went to the prison to see Sarah the  man took her to Sarah's room Anna and  Sarah sat at the table and the man stood  and watched it was a bad day mother I'm  sorry Sarah said slowly  her eyes were not red now but she looked  very tired her hands were near her  mother's on the table it wasn't a very  good day that's true Anna said but you  have a very good lawyer you know the  jury likes him but it doesn't help Sarah  said there was heroin in the toothpaste  tubes and the tubes were in my bag what  can mr. Cheng do the heroin was in my  bad mother the jury knows that Anna  looked at her daughter carefully perhaps  Hasaan put it there Sara she said you  like him I know  and he looks nice but mother I love him  I said that in court  you heard me and Hasan loves me too  and he does not buy or sell heroin I  Sara stop talking and put her hands on  her stomach  what's the matter Anna asked she looked  at the man quickly she's ill get a  doctor the man ran from the room and  Anna put her arms round her daughter she  waited and then Sarah sat up it's all  right mother  she said her face was very white but she  looked a little better it happens  sometimes I often feel ill and I don't  like to eat much but it's not very bad I  think I'm going to stay alive because of  it she gave her mother a smile what what  are you saying  what are you talking about Anna cried my  baby Sarah's face looked different now  half smiling half afraid mother don't be  angry please I'm going to have a baby  it's a  man's baby I we wanted to come to  England and tell you about it there but  now we can't I love him and he wants to  be my husband mother mother please don't  be angry Anna's face was white now for  nearly a minute  she could say nothing she wanted to cry  but she didn't at last she said Oh Sarah  what's going to happen to this baby  Sarah looked at her hands nothing mother  I asked mr. Cheng about that they can't  kill me you see because I'm going to  have a baby they can't kill a mother and  her baby that's the law but that doesn't  help her son Anna heard a noise and  looked at the door listen Sarah she said  quickly before the doctor comes I'm not  angry and I do love you Sarah of course  but listen I talked to inspector aziz  again today i think he can help you and  hassan too so don't be afraid please and  the door opened and the man came in with  a woman doctor  anna stood up she took  errors hand I'm going now Sarah but  don't be afraid you're going to be  alright I'm sure of it





 Chapter seven


 next morning at half past  four  Anna Harland stood in a quiet road in  front of a hotel she waited and then she  heard a car behind the hotel the car  doors opened and closed she waited  quietly and then looked down the road a  man walked into the road and stood next  to a shop he did not look at Anna but  Anna looked at him and smiled then she  walked into the hotel she went upstairs  and knocked on the door of a bedroom a  man answered who is it it's me Steven  she said Anna Harland open the door  please  I want to talk to you the door opened  and Steven looked out slowly Anna what  are you doing here at this time it's  Anna walked quickly into the room yes  it's half past four Sarah is in court  again at ten o'clock I need your help  young man please get up but what can I  do  Anna looked at him you went to see a man  last night what happened can he help  Sarah Stephen answered slowly he did not  look at Anna no I'm sorry he can't Anna  was cold and angry I see she said  well can you and I help her then tell me  Steven what do you know about Hassan  Hassan Steven said angrily  well we met him in Australia and Sarah  went away with him  she doesn't understand him but I do he's  a rich young man with a beautiful body  he likes playing with girls but he  doesn't love her and do you love her  Steven Steven did not answer at once for  two or three seconds Anna waited he  doesn't know she thought he can't answer  the question yes mrs. Harland of course  I love her but he's not looking at me  Anna thought he's looking out of the  window he's not thinking about Sarah  Steven Anna asked quietly  did you go to see sarah and hassan in  Australia the night before they came to  this country Stephen looked up at her uh  yes I went to their hotel he said I  asked Sarah to leave Hassan and come  back to me but how did you know that  Sarah told me of course was her son  there no he Steven stopped then he said  why do you ask  Anna Oh  her handbag look at this she said what  is it do you know he looked at it and  then that Ana a tube of toothpaste why  that's right a policeman gave it to me  and he took it from a man you met that  man last night Stephen you gave him ten  tubes of toothpaste what was in those  tubes of toothpaste Stephen Stephen said  nothing he looked at the toothpaste and  stood up but Ana was between him and the  door she gave the toothpaste to him  would you like to clean your teeth  Stephen he began to move to the door but  Ana took his arm you don't love Sarah do  you Stephen you hate her because she  left you you put three of these tubes in  Sarah's bag and then you phoned the  police you told them about the tubes in  my daughter's bag you want Sarah to die  no Stephen said no no not Sarah Hassan I  put them in Hassan's bag not Sarah's I  wanted her son to die  he opened the door quickly and then  stopped a man stood there inspector aziz  he put his hand on Stephens arm it's a  no  old story young man he said it happens  every day my first girlfriend left me  for a new man I was very angry too I  hated him but I didn't want to kill him  come on let's go you can tell your story  to the judge



chapter



at  o'clock that morning  Sarah  and Hassan were free Sarah  stood with her mother inspector aziz and  mr cheng  she smiled happily mother you're  wonderful  now I can be happy but how did you know  about Stephen inspector aziz answered  young woman he said remember your mother  is a doctor she knew Stephen was ill  because of his eyes and his body his  eyes are very big and dark and his body  is always moving well  yes Anna said but you helped me Sarah  you said he was different  remember and I looked at him carefully  and began to think heroin does that to  people he did a very bad thing Sarah  said slowly but I feel sorry for him now  when is he going to court inspector I  don't know the inspector said in two  weeks perhaps but don't think about him  would you like to see our beautiful  country mrs. Harland where would you  like to go Anna smiled at him thank you  but I can't stay tomorrow I'm going  back to England to talk to Stephens  mother and father inspector aziz looked  at her and said nothing for a minute  then he said quietly yes I feel very  sorry for them it kills a lot of young  people this heroine yes but it isn't  going to kill my daughter she isn't  going to die now Anna took sarah's hand  so thank you again inspector aziz and mr  cheng and goodbye now i'm going to have  a long cold drink in a quiet garden with  my daughter and her new young man i want  to know a lot more about him hassan  stood with his mother and father near  the door of the court Anna Harland put  her hand on her daughter's arm and  smiled at them  you                                                                                   

Comments